Local birds and October Wake Audubon Events

 Howdy!

It's nice to be back home in NC after our fun month in New England. Last
weekend we did a bit of local birding in the Triangle area, seeing
redstart, parula, Magnolia, Blue-winged, Black-and-white, and
Chestnut-sided Warblers. We also saw Yellow-billed Cuckoo, Scarlet
Tanager, Bald Eagle, and Bobolink. These were seen at Lake Crabtree and
the Allegheny Trail in Raleigh and at our first visit to the Indian Park
Trail in Durham. It's nice to see the gnatcatchers, catbirds, and swifts
still around, although I haven't seen any catbirds around the house in
the past few days now.

Can you believe how fast this year has gone by? We're already into the
lovely month (my favorite!) of October. Below you'll see the list of
Wake Audubon events for October. You are welcome to join us!

Happy birding! Karen Bearden
Raleigh, NC
chickadeebirders@earthlink.net

Please join us on Tuesday, October 14, to hear science museum curator
Mary Kay Clark shed light on some of our most misunderstood mammals as
she describes her research on bats in Southeastern bottomland forests.
Her talk is entitled "Bats and Bottomlands." The meeting will be held at
7:30 p.m. in the A-level conference room of the North Carolina Museum of
Natural Sciences, 11 West Jones Street in downtown Raleigh, 571-0388.

Saturday, October 4: Bagels and Birdwalk on the Buckeye. We meet on the
first Saturday of each month at 8:30 a.m. at the Greenway parking area
on
Crabtree Boulevard, between Capital Boulevard and Raleigh Boulevard,
845-5006.

Saturday, October 18: Anderson Point Avian Adventures. Meet at 8:30 a.m.
in the parking lot at Anderson Point Park on the third Saturday of each
month.
Highway 64 E from the Beltline two miles. Turn right on Rogers Lane; the
parking lot is at the end of the street, 881-2601.

Saturday, October 18: Anderson Point Insects of the Meadow. 10:30 a.m. -
Noon. Learn to locate resident insects and butterflies of the wildlife
meadow,
881-2601.

Tuesday, October 21: You're invited to join John Gerwin, Bird
Collections Manager at the Natural Science Museum for a
behind-the-scenes look at specimens in the Research Bird Collection.
This is a great opportunity to get a close-up look at the many
adaptations birds display. We will spend time discussing and viewing
examples of some fascinating ways that birds make a living. Bring lots
of questions! Participation is limited, 11 West Jones Street in downtown
Raleigh, 715-2600.

Saturday, October 25: Field Trip to B.W. Wells Site and Falls Lake. Meet
at 8 a.m. at the B.W. Wells Campground, 571-0388.