PHILADELPHIA VIREO in N. Durham County

Janet and I did our usual walk and were very surprised to see a Philadelphia Vireo--Yard Bird obviously. It was seen well, both sitting on various perches, in the open for several minutes and then seen well flying. A red-eyed vireo was kind enough to stop by in the same tree, almost in the same field. I had Sibley with me and all the field marks checked out.

Other significant sightings

Yellow-bellied Sapsucker        3 first of the season
Magnolia Warbler        1
Redstart                2   one beautiful male
Indigo Bunting          4
Cat Bird                4
Phoebe          4
Eastern Bluebird        16
Summer Tanager  1

There was also the usual collection of resident species.

Retirement is nice! Before my work got in the way of important things like following the fall migration.

Tom

Tom Krakauer
Bahama, Durham County, NC
tkrakauer@mindspring.com