Another success re Sabine's Gull

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Sabine's Gull
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 21:49:55 -0400
From: Judy Murray <jmurray@unc.edu>
To: Julia Shields <jshields@med.unc.edu>

Here's a message to Carolinabirds from Judy Murray, who is not currently subscribed, but is certainly an active and resourceful birder! (I was with her - and lots of other folks - on Saturday, when so many of us left just before the gull arrived. Too bad I couldn't go yesterday.)

Julia -
  Thanks so much for offering to post this.  I got carried away and I'm
afraid it's a bit too long.

Finally after two tries I got to see the Sabine's Gull! I arrived at 4:00 PM Tues. Oct. 7th and after about five minutes spotted a gull-like bird far to the right (away from the cell tower). Of course it was right in the sun and just a silhouette, but I was able to make out a white throat as it turned around. The wind was blowing in his direction and he seemed to be just floating along enjoying the afternoon. I kept hoping it would turn around and come my way. I spotted a fisherman across the lake slowly trolling the shoreline and I hoped he would get close enough to the bird to make it move in my direction. But before I knew it the fisherman was heading toward the boat ramp. I knew this was my only chance so I walked down to the dock and asked him if he was in a hurry to get home. When he said no, I asked him if he'd do me a HUGE favor. I explained to him about the rare bird and how I thought it was across the lake, but I needed a better look and would he have time to take me over there right quick. He pondered for a few seconds and then said for me to get my stuff (scope) and he'd take me. When I got in the boat I showed him a picture of the bird. I was afraid the bird would fly before we got there so I had him go further from the bird and circle back which he did and we got beautiful looks. I let him look through the binoculars too. I wish I had your camera, Will, could have gotten some great pictures. At this point the bird never flew so we moved in closer. We could have been as close as thirty feet. He finally opened his wings and fluttered a few feet. The pattern on the wings was distinctive, but I forgot to look at the tail. He/she was a beautiful bird, even the fisherman agreed. We left it after a few minutes and it stayed in the same spot. The fisherman was Henry Steelman from North Wilkesboro down to Lake Hickory to check it out for an upcoming fishing tournament.

Thanks again,
Judy.