Re: Hummers gone?

TOMM . . .

I've been away from Hilton Pond this week so haven't been seeing any Ruby-throated Hummingbirds hereabouts.

My most recent bird of 2003 was a juvenile female banded on 3 October and she easily could be the last bird of the season. Since 1984 I've only banded two birds after 10 October, one on 10/12/89, and the all-time latest one on 10/18/86.

My last juvenile male RTHU this year was on 29 September, and there hasn't been an adult male around here since 14 September--my latest adult male ever by four days. The last adult female was on 27 September--later by six days than any other. Looks like adults didi indeed run late this year.

I suspect most of the hummers in the Carolinas from now on--with notable exceptions along the coast--will be those curious "winter vagrants."

Best wishes,

BILL

============

Saw a female RTHU @ Daniel Stowe Botanical Gdns this past Sunday, but that's
the only sighting I have made during the entire month of October, so far.
Haven't had a hummer at my Lake Norman feeders in 10 days - an early
departure compared with other years.

How 'bout you, Bill Hilton?  Still have hummybird visitors in your SC
location?  Any males still around?

Cheers! 7;^)
Tomm "je ne comprends pas" Lorenzin
Mooresville (Lake Norman), NC
SkyTomm(at)1000plus.com

--

BILL HILTON JR., Executive Director
hilton@hiltonpond.org, (803) 684-5852, eFax: (503) 218-0845

The mission of Hilton Pond Center for Piedmont Natural History is "to conserve plants, animals, habitats, and other natural components of the Piedmont Region of the eastern United States through observation, scientific study, and education for students of all ages." Please visit our web sites (courtesy of Comporium.net) at http://www.hiltonpond.org and http://www.rubythroat.org ("Operation RubyThroat: The Hummingbird Project").

"Never trust a person too lazy to get up for sunrise or too busy to
watch the sunset."					BHjr.