shade-grown; Big Sit

Hi Carolinabirders,

For those who don't feel like driving all the way to Fort Fisher (I'm not
comfortable being that far out of town with Airlie 8.5 months pregnant),
I'm going to attempt a Big Sit at the Ellerbe Creek beaver marsh behind
the Big Lots, Winn-Dixie, former Big K-Mart and Carmike Cinemas, etc. just
east of the intersection of Roxboro Street and Avondale Road. If anyone
wants to come by and say hello, I'll be parked in the middle of the
wetland on the concrete platform on the sewer pipe. I won't be offended if
you just wave from the shoreline... or call on my cel-phone...

On Sat, 11 Oct 2003, Kendrick Weeks wrote:

> By the way, does anyone know where I can get some
> shade grown coffee?

Hey Kendrick, great Wood Thrush commentary!

Lots of places to get shade-grown around here; this topic probably gets
discussed on c-birds annually. My wife's favorite (I'm not a coffee
drinker) is Cafe San Ramon, which is not only shade-grown, but also
organic and fair-traded. And has a local connection, as it's distributed
by Durham-based Counter Culture Coffee. I think the closest sources to F-V
is Capitol Coffee in Apex, or maybe Global Village in Raleigh. It's also
avaliable from a bunch of markets in Durham, and a few each in Chapel
Hill, Asheville, Waynesville, Greenville, and in SC in Charleston and
Columbia, among many others. For the complete list and details, including
ordering by mail, see
http://www.durham-sanramon.org/economicdev.html

Counter Culture has their own bird-friendly brew, Sanctuary, which I think
is for sale at the Wild Bird Center in Chapel Hill.
http://www.counterculturecoffee.com/sanctuary.htm

There's also Song Bird Coffee, which is sold at Outdoor Bird Co., Wild
Birds Unlimited, and similar places, and on-line by the ABA. There's an
OBC in Creedmoor Road in Raleigh.
http://www.songbirdcoffee.com/STORES/stores-nc.html

And the Smithsonian Migratory Bird Center has their own brew, entitled
"Bird Friendly Coffee". This one can be had from two places in Raleigh,
Stockton Graham & Co. and Tradewings Coffee.
http://nationalzoo.si.edu/ConservationAndScience/MigratoryBirds/

And of course, if you feel like shopping on-line, all you have to do is
type "shade grown fair trade organic coffee" into Google; I got over
10,000 results...

Happy caffienating,

Josh

Joshua S. Rose