Re: Ruff at Pea Island

On 10/11/03 8:46 PM, "Wayne Irvin" <ephstop@mindspring.com> wrote:

> Hi folks,
> Just for clarification, Lex Glover located the RUFF at South Pond today.
> Wayne Irvin, Bill Sugg and I observed the bird for quite a while before
> it finally flew off toward New Field. We also had good looks at 4+
> Peregrines.
> Also, there were good numbers of waterfowl present, including Snow
> Geese.

This is sort've weird: out of 48 NC reports of Ruff of which I am aware, the
current sighting is the first one from October.  (1/48 = 2.1%)

On the other hand, out of 17 SC reports of which I am aware, 2 are from
October. (2/17 = 11.8%)

Another birding mystery of our time.  :-)

--
Russ Tyndall
Wake Forest, NC