Georgetown Swallows

On my way back from Charleston County this evening, I was thinking about the
unbelievable number of swallows that gather each spring just west of the
observation pier in Georgetown.  Having seen many Tree Swallows in the area
recently, I was wondering if the same spectacle might occur again in the
fall as well.  As luck would have it, I entered Georgetown just before dark
so I stopped by the pier to check.

I looked to the west but could see nothing but a cloud or two.  Through
binoculars, however, I could see the dark shapes weren't clouds at all.
They were swallows!  I have no idea how many birds could have been in this
massive group.... there had to be at least several hundred thousand birds!

Generally, the birds begin showing up a half-hour or so before dark.  They
start in groups of two or three.  Soon they're all around.  Then, just
before dark, they gather in huge "swarms" off to the west.  The group will
then form a literal vortex of birds.  At times, it honestly appears as
though a funnel cloud is forming.  They remain in this "cyclone" for several
minutes before they begin to drop into the marsh.  From the time the first
bird descends until the last bird is gone is probably less than a minute.
But it is really something to watch.

If anyone is in the area and would like to check it out, I'd suggest being
on the road to the observation pier twenty to thirty minutes before dark.
Although the swallows will come from all around at first, the real show will
eventually be well off to the west over the marsh.  (You'd want to stand
with your back to Highway 17.  Also, you will be viewing the birds from well
over a half-mile, so it would be good to take binoculars or possibly even a
scope.)  When I arrived at 7:03 this evening, the "cloud" had already begun
to form.  At 7:05, the birds had created the vortex.  By 7:06, all the birds
had dropped into the marsh and there wasn't a straggler to be found
anywhere.  I'm not sure how much longer you could expect to see the swallows
in this area this fall so you might want to make it fairly soon if you plan
on stopping by.  Additionally, I'm sure the birds will be "performing" a
minute or two earlier each evening as we're losing our daylight quickly now.

Incidentally, Gary Phillips originally mentioned this occurrence to me.
Although I've been able to see it several times now, I'm still amazed each
and every time.  Thanks Gary.

Good Birding!
Ritch Lilly
Myrtle Beach (Horry County), SC