HBSP-Big Sit

Hi Carolinabirders,
Yesterday I did the "big sit" for Waccamaw Audubon despite having some
sort of URI. I wound up doing most of it solo from 6:10AM till 4 PM.  I
want to thank Larry and Louise Barden and the others from Mecklenburg
Audubon who showed up to give a hand for a little while and special
thanks to Louise who had all these nice over the counter meds to make me
feel a lot more comfortable.
I was located at the west end of the causeway which is a good vantage
point for looks into Mullet Pond and the salt marsh.  It was high tide
at first light and low tide when I left.
A bit of a problem was the traffic as the circle center was in the
roadway.  Next year I think a move to the first overlook on  the east
side of the causeway would be a better spot. It has a roof, benches, and
you would not have to lay out a circle as most of the overlook would
probably be in the circle.
Not our best results only 38 species. In the order in which they were
found:
Blue Jay sounded off at 7:02 AM
Belted Kingfisher id'd by rattle and silhoutte at 7:03
Carolina Wren-by voice at 7:04
Tricolored Heron-first bird id'd by sight at 7:07
Black-crowned Night-Heron-7:07
Great Blue Heron-7:13
Clapper Rail-sounded off at 7:17
Wood Stork-7:19
Tree Swallow-the first of hundreds showed up at 7:20
Great Egret-7:37
Snowy Egret-7:38
Boat-tailed Grackle-7:41
Greater Yellowlegs called in flight at 7:44
Yellow-crowned Night-Heron 2 immatures flew by at 7:45
Double-Crested Cormorant-was seen at 7:59
Bald Eagle-2 adults flew in together at 8:12
Laughing Gull-8:18
Red-winged Blackbird-a small flock overhead at 8:20
Red-bellied Woodpecker was heard at 8:33
Common Grackle perched at the top of a nearby pine at 8:42 (so I had
half the total species in the first hour and 45 minutes)
White Ibis-fly over flock at 8:53
Ring-billed Gull at 9:04
Caspian Tern-a small flock showed up at 9:13
Peregrine Falcon at 9:25 Larry Barden got this one when he showed up and
said he eye balled one earlier on the way to the circle, it was in a
dead tree on the other side of Mullet Pond and when we got the scope on
the tree it was still there. I later had the same or another one on a
different snag.
Merlin-9:53 a flyover
Fish Crow-sounded off at 10:18
Osprey-flew over at 10:20
Turkey Vulture-10:23
And then I didn't have another bird for more than an hour and a half
Royal Tern-small flock over Mullet Pond at 11:58
Black Skimmer-large flock above the Royals at 11:58
Am. Crow-called from back in the woods at 12:00
Tufted Titmouse-was heard at 2:25
Common Yellowthroat-a male chipped away and came into view in a willow
at 2:40
Little Blue Heron at 3:10
Black-bellied Plover-finally low tide 3:12
Semipalmated Plover-3:12
Forster's Tern-flew by at 3:20
Carolina Chickadee-sounded off in the pines about 3:25

Jack Peachey