ASFC's Big Sit! Circle - Tanglewood Park - October 12

The Audubon Society of Forsyth County sponsored their first entry in
The Big Sit! this year.  The circle was located in Tanglewood Park in
Clemmons, NC on the western side of the county.  The site was defined
around a raised steel platform that overlooks a wetland area with field
and forested areas within scope sight. The platform is along the gravel
road that leads to the BMX track.  Staffing of the site was very thin,
with coverage only from 7:00 a.m. until 11:00 a.m. and then again from
5:00 p.m. until 7:30 p.m..  My dog, Nabisco, was my guardian and
companion for the early stint; my husband, Tom, joined me for the
evening period.

The early morning was very foggy and hazy.  Upon arrival, we spooked a
white-tailed buck who was grazing on the golf course on the left side
of the gravel road.  First sounds heard were from the Blue Jays in the
distance.  A honking flock of Canada Geese heralded the morn as well.
 Northern Cardinals were plentiful as were Song and White-throated S
parrows.  A Green Heron close by kept taunting me with his call and
eventually showed himself.  As the morning grew lighter and the fog
lifted, the activity picked up.  Sometimes I just didn't know which way
to look first!  I am thankful for the opportunity to participate in
this event.  Our days are so busy that I think it takes something like
this to make me just sit and enjoy the wonders of our world.

Highlights for me were great looks at Common Yellowthroat, both male
and female, several Indigo Buntings, including a first year male with
mottled blue and brown plumage, the Green Heron who got used to me and
continued his hunting, and terrific looks at a Cape May Warbler.

Final species count was 33.  Here's the list:

Green Heron
Canada Goose
Mallard
Mourning Dove