White-crowned Sparrow

Hey Carolina Birders,

When I posted our first Yellow-rumped Warbler yesterday, I stated that the
butter-butts marked the beginning of the end of our fall migration.  I
received a response saying that their presence really meant our migration
was over and that our "winter" residents shouldn't be far behind.  Here at
the beach, I assume that means golfers. ;-)

Anyway, this morning, right on cue, a juvenile White-crowned Sparrow was
seen foraging under a couple of our seed feeders.  It finally hopped across
the yard and under the deck.  Its funny to me that White-crowneds are a
relatively tough bird to find, at least in my experience, here along the
coast.  But for some reason, we usually have three or four here on and off
throughout the winter.  On the other hand, so many of the much more common
birds in the area haven't decided to make an appearance on our yard-bird
list yet.

Good Birding!
Ritch Lilly
Myrtle Beach (Horry County), SC