stories in the Herald-Sun, etc.

Hi C-birders,

I'm still wondering why all three Green Violet-ear records for the
Carolinas are in the NC mountains, none in SC, none in the Piedmont or
Coastal Plain. I mean, they apparently live in the mountains in their
normal breeding range, but the mountains are a heck of a lot warmer down
there!

After hearing a blurb on WUNC 91.5 FM, I found the same story on the
Durham Herald-Sun website, featuring some expert testimony that the Navy
landing field in Washington County will not be safe for pilots due to the
abundance of large birds flying in the vicinity (well, duh):
http://www.herald-sun.com/state/6-402325.html

While looking for that, I also found a story about 45 acres of undeveloped
land in Durham, near Durham Tech, being donated by developers to NC State.
The tract will be named the Expressway Conservation and Education Site,
and used for nature walks and environmental education:
http://www.herald-sun.com/durham/4-402157.html

And for a little more good news, over lunch I picked up a Triangle Land
Conservancy newsletter, and read where NCDOT agreed to make the new 15-501
bridge over New Hope Creek higher and longer, leaving a better corridor
for plant and animal dispersal and human recreation underneath:
http://www.tlc-nc.org/new_hope_bridge_success.shtml

Good birding,

Josh

Joshua S. Rose