activism and Re: speaking of shadegrown coffee...

Howdy folks,

Lest anyone dismiss Nathan, Eric et al as being overly optimistic, I
should point out that NCDOT's decision to build a much more expensive
bridge in order to accomodate wildlife and recreation came in response to
a widespread public outcry coordinated by New Hope Audubon, the Triangle
Land Conservancy, the Eno River Association and other local conservation
groups. So it *does* work, sometimes...

As does voting! Wake County approved a parks and recreation bond issue
during their primary election that will help complete and manage
greenways, and three of the six candidates who survived Durham's
"nonpartisan" primary for county commissioner are endorsed by the local
environmental community. Now if they can just sweep the general
election...

On Tue, 14 Oct 2003 Esharrold@aol.com wrote:

> Is there a store in Manteo or Nags Head that sells it? I'd like to
> continue my ways of being a consciencious consumer :)...besides, enough
> people are buying from Folgers.

It looks like your best bet is the Orange Blossom Bakery in Buxton, if
they're still intact and acessible after Isabel. They sell Song Bird
coffee, the ABA's favorite brand. It's also sold at Wild Birds Unlimited
in New Bern:
http://www.songbirdcoffee.com/STORES/stores-nc.html

It doesn't look like San Ramon is sold anywhere on the Outer Banks, but
Sanctuary (by Fred's company, Counter Culture) might be, they don't list
their retail outlets on their website. The Smithsonian blend appears to
only be available in NC in Raleigh.

(I don't even drink coffee, go figure...)

Good birding and coffee,

Josh

Joshua S. Rose
Duke University