Mattamuskeet birds and beasts

Hopefully I'll be able to keep an eye out for any rarities as well as keep folks updated in terms of the seasonal movements of waterfowl and shorebirds. If anyone has any questions, don't hesitate to give me a holler.

A flock of about 50 Caspian Terns can be seen inside the gate (roughly 1 mile from parking) at impoundment MI-8W near Lake Landing Canal. Our 10-day bird survey yielded Tricolored Herons, Little Blue Herons, and Snowy Egrets at MI-11. On the lake we observed large numbers of Ruddy Ducks (2000+), a few Pintails, Black Ducks, Gadwalls, and Mallards. Today (Sunday) I observed roughly 2000 Am. Widgeon and over 3000 Ruddies on the east side of the lake. There were also a few Ring-necked Ducks, Black Ducks, and Pintails. Wood Ducks are present in good numbers along the canals and in flooded bottoms. We had 3 Tundra Swans last week (first of the season), and during WOW we saw 2 flocks of 50 or more Snow Geese.

Today I was surprised by a Yellow-billed Cuckoo along the loop trail behind Refuge headquarters. There was little passerine delight as all of the warblers I observed were Yellow-rumped (sigh).

Last night I learned that deer are not the only large mammal one must be concerned with avoiding on the roadways in these parts. Thankfully, the very very black bear was on the other side of the road and didn't amble over in front of me.

Eric Harrold
Mattamuskeet NWR