Black Vultures as preditors

Today's Hendersonville, NC paper carried an AP article about Black Vultures
killing lambs, newborn calves, and even adult animals when in the process of
giving birth.
The article was based on information from farmers in Ohio, but also mentions
"Southeatern states" including Virginia.
I am aware that Black Vultures have been killed in Virginia, supposedly to
protect livestock.
Can someone supply me with factual information about this subject? I have
had two calls already this morning from people who are upset by the AP
article.
Many thanks.
                                                        Reece
Reece 'n Judy Mitchell