Sparrow returns

Nothing out of the ordinary has happened in our yard since last spring,
so I've kept quiet.  The Fall Migration has been slow here, save for
a flurry on a gloomy Oct. 11 that brought through 6 warbler sp.,
including a pair of Black-throated Greens as well as a Yellow-throated
(yardbird #109).  Rose-breasted Grosbeaks could be heard some mornings.

Yesterday I thought I was hearing the chips of White-throated Sparrows
in our bushes.  Shortly thereafter, I spotted one in a tree and another
on the ground under a feeder.  Indeed, our Sparrows have returned!
I say "our" because the one on the ground had an unusual white tail feather.
It is exciting to see that this bird survived another summer and made
it back to our garden, the 5th winter we have seen it here.

Jerry Griggs    j@sc.edu
Columbia, SC