bird sanctuary work days

With a great volunteer turnout and a paid crew of UNCA students, we made a strong start Saturday on this season's effort to remove exotic-invasive plants at Beaver Lake Bird Sanctuary in north Asheville.

We'll do it again the next three Saturdays, on this schedule:

Sat 11/1, 1 to 4 pm
Sat 11/8, 1 to 4 pm
Sat 11/15, 9 am to noon and 1 to 4 pm

Thanks to all who worked Saturday: volunteers Mike Lang, Steve White, Tim Lewis, Lori Unruh, the McGwires (John, Gretchen and Henry), Esther Pardue, Pauline Council, Tom Joyce, Greta Paterson, Phyllis Smith, Laura Graham and Hannah Early (the latter two, National Honor Society students at Asheville High); and to crew chief Reed Rossell and his 8 workers from UNCA.

As a result of our efforts, plants like porcelainberry, multiflora rose, Asian bittersweet, and privet were pulled out. There's plenty more work to do. Please let me know if you can join us on any or all of the forthcoming work days.

Len Pardue, coordinator
Beaver Lake Bird Sanctuary
Elisha Mitchell Audubon
Asheville NC