Digital Technologies

Yesterday, right after class around 3:30, on Talk of the Nation on NPR,
there was a discussion on Digital technology (specifically digitally
altering images/photos).  The central issue was the altering of a
billboard directly behind Dan Rather in CBS's coverage of New Year's Eve
in Times Square.  They altered the billboard so that it read "CBS"
One of the participants was John Pavlik, of the Center for New Media at
Columbia Univ (www.cnm.columbia.edu/html/)
One caller remarked that with the greater ease of altering images, how
will the public know whether or not a picture is "pure"  He stated that it
lessened his own credibility as a photographer (for a newspaper I think).
Another caller remarked that it isn't the new technology we need to be
worried about, but rather journalistic integrity.
Dr. Pavlik remarked that watermarking images can guarantee some
authenticity.

Too bad, I only caught the tail end of the discussion.
Hannah