re: Digital Technologies

Despite the OJ cover on Time (he was darkened to look more, well, you get
the picture), the CBS replacement of NBC at Times Square, Cokie Roberts
standing in front of a chromakeyed screen of the Capitol and pretending
she's on location, etc, there may be hope in standard practice if not in
technology. There is a code of ethic that news people in particular are
supposed to be following. http://metalab.unc.edu/nppa/codeofethics.html
for the National Press Photographers Association for example. In fact most
professions have such codes for themselves.

But how enforceable are such codes?
How different is lightening a shadow to bring out better something
actually in the picture by darkroom techniques from digital replacement?
Should there be legislation, as there is in advertising to children, to
require that viewers be alerted to altered images--"this is not a flying
toy"?
How does product placement affect history and truth for example?
What about the White House Drug Czar paying for anti-drug placement? Isn't
that for the public good? What then about those who resisted the payments?
http://www.salon.com/news/feature/2000/01/21/drugs/index.html

                             Paul Jones
   "We must protect our precious bodily fluids!" General Jack D Ripper
http://MetaLab.unc.edu/pjones/ at the Site Formerly Known As SunSITE.unc.edu
  pjones@MetaLab.unc.edu   voice: (919) 962-7600     fax: (919) 962-8071