Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2000 09:15:47 -0500
From: "Jones, Georgina E" <gej16840@glaxowellcome.com>
To: 'Hannah Toney' <toneh@ruby.ils.unc.edu>
Subject: RE: Wearable Computers

Hannah ... here's a cut&paste from my web page.
Wearable Computer Prototype by IBM
Total view picture Full view of wearable computer including the keypad
strapped to the left arm. The CPU and some additional equipment for managing
the display is housed in the zippered strap that goes over the shoulder and
attaches to the waist. The mouse is held in one hand and has a track-point
operated by the thumb and two buttons on the underside.
Focus on headgear picture A full "display" image is viewable with the
eyepiece. This pictures show an open door which allows the wearer to see
through the display image. A small silver door can slide across to provide
privacy and increase clarity of screen image.
Three wearable computers were tested at Duke University Medical Center and
demonstrated Feb. 24th. IBM built the computers and are testing a total of
10 years in various pilots across the country. These were created by the
Solutions Integration unit of the IBM Personal Systems Group, based in RTP.
They have a staff of 3 and can draw on the resources of their larger group
to design and build prototypes. Chris O'Toole is the Project Manager I spoke
with.
Duke loaded three applications on the wearable units: a bone marrow
database, a clinical information browser and Internet Explorer. Physicians
were these while making their rounds. They were able to transfer information
from the clinical information system into the bone marrow database via a
screen copy and paste. I overheard that the units were well received by the
child patients but not as acceptable to all other patients.
The project at Duke was sponsored by CITI, Center for Information Technology
Innovation, which is part of the Duke Office of Information Technology
<http://www.oit.duke.edu/oit/index.html>. J. David Kirby is the director of
CITI as well as the director of TeleHealth.
Disclaimer: these notes are based on my 2 hour visit to their open house. I
may not have accurately heard and interpreted the summary information
presented here. This is report is intended to be just a brief introduction
to their recent wearable computing pilot.

Georgina E. Jones
Information Access Analyst
Global Emerging Technologies
Glaxo Wellcome Inc.
5 Moore Drive, Research Triangle Park, NC 27709
(919)483-7428