MP3 conf at Harvard stories

Two dispatches from the Harvard conference:

http://www.wired.com/news/business/0,1367,34605,00.html
                               Pundits Ask: Who Owns Music?
                               by Chris Oakes
                               3:00 a.m. 26.Feb.2000 PST

CAMBRIDGE, Massachusetts -- Intellectual property protection in the age of
digital music has few options -- three, to be exact.

And if you ask Harvard Law School Professor Terry Fisher, only one is
truly viable: the unfettered release of intellectual property, with
profits distributed fairly among all interested parties.

http://www.wired.com/news/culture/0,1284,34595,00.html
                               MP3 Revolution: Rhetoric or Real?
                               by Chris Oakes
                               2:00 p.m. 25.Feb.2000 PST

CAMBRIDGE, Massachusetts -- Music wants to be free. MP3 will bring artists
a bigger cut of the profits. Middlemen will diminish, and the recording
industry is running scared.

"The question is: Is this real or is this just so much rhetoric?" asked
Charles Nesson, director of Berkman Center for the Internet & Society and
moderator of the opening panel at "Signal or Noise? The Future of Music on
the Net," a conference held on Friday at Harvard Law School.

                             Paul Jones
   "We must protect our precious bodily fluids!" General Jack D Ripper
http://MetaLab.unc.edu/pjones/ at the Site Formerly Known As SunSITE.unc.edu
  pjones@MetaLab.unc.edu   voice: (919) 962-7600     fax: (919) 962-8071