Re: Thinking Ahead...

Just this Saturday, I encoded "Detroit Rock City" (99MB) and burned it on
a cd.  Of course, anyone with two vcrs can dub a movie.  99m is not really
that big, considering it's a 2 hour movie.  But it's still large.
In Database Nation, Garfinkel talks about Digital Watermarking for audio
and video recordings (Chapter 8).  Specifically, he talks about Argent
Digital Watermark System, developed by the DICE Company.  "The system is
also fast - the watermark can be stamped onto the music as the song is
played over the radio or downloaded over the internet."  With the Argent
system, multiple digital watermark channels can be stored.  One for the
basic song information (copyright, title, tracks), Another (encrypted
distribution channel) for specific rights under which the music was
licensed from the producer to the distributor.  Garfinkel writes "the
Argent technology can also be used to search for illegally copied
digitized music on the Internet or in the libraries of online service
providers" There is a third channel (encrypted ownership channel) which
"could have stamped on it the name of the person who bought the song, how
much money they paid, when they bought it, from where, and the particular
license they purchased."  Hence, a digital receipt.  The idea here is that
if music has this receipt in it, you won't be as willing to share your
music.

Hannah