Goa

All,

I used Goa as an example at then end of yesterday's discussion to try and
illustrate my point about how people divide themselves into little
subgroups under the banner of individuality and then proceed to act like
sheep, i.e. the lots of niches trend.

I have never actually listened to any Goa but I have heard about it and
what I have heard is that people that listen to Goa are among the worst
music snobs. Of course, within an circle of music enthusiasts, there are
some that are at the more extreme end (purists) and then the continuum
goes down to varying levels of people that are more open minded and listen
to other kinds of music. If what I have been told is correct, pretty much
everyone that listens to Goa falls into the purist range of the spectrum.

Of course, this may have something to do w/how Goa is produced: where and
for whom. I believe Goa is produced on the island of Goa (although I seems
to think that particular island might be renamed now?? I don't know.) for
wealthy Europeans that come to the island solely to party. I think the
music is very densely layered psychedelic type and as an aside, since we
talked about DATs, if memory serves me, I think Goa DJs have to use DATs
b/c it gets to hot on that tropical paradise that vinyl will melt.

I could be wrong w/some of the details b/c I am by no means an authority
on dance music, having only become more interested in it in the past few
years, but I think I've managed to cough up what I've been told at least
about this particular sub-genre.

I'll try to find some links on Goa later on today when I have time.

Robyn Pretzloff
SILS Computer Lab Co-Manager
School of Information & Library Science
University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill

"Reality is the leading cause of stress
among those who are in touch with it."
--Jane Wagner