Replies from Dan

I would like to preface this comment with the note that I may not see too much more of you guys this semester. As a select number of you may be aware, I was diagnosed with cancer a few weeks ago, and went in Friday to get it removed. However, cancer has turned out to be more serious than expected, and I will be returning to the hospital within the next two weeks. So while I should be around next week, the rest of the time I guess I'll be emailing. ;-) I just wanted to give everyone a heads up and to apologise for being a bit flaky lately.

And now for some notes:

Hanna: "I have always seen these online courses as a supplement to inclass teaching." Well, I have to say that for the last week or so I have been pushing this view. Granted, we are all doing a bit of distance education this week (and well time I must say), I have also been able to participate in another one of my classes (INLS180) through an online chat room discussion. Granted that this is not the norm, and the technology we used was of the lowest possible, it still did pretty well. For the rest of the American population stuck in bed, I can see (with the growth of home networking and Cable Modems/DSL) the technology (specifically the software) getting better. Why can't the idea of a virtual classroom exist? I play virtual war games - I can see and talk to my comrades, even if they are half-way across the world. Basically, add a visual headset, and put chairs in the virtual room, and presto, first generation holodeck classroom.

Hanna & Harry: Apparently I misused my time greatly at college, because I don't really remember the partying and getting drunk part. For me, it was always the piece of paper that counted. Granted, getting out of the house was a huge benefit. Well, maybe I've forgotten what it was like then. It may have only been five years ago, but I've put a lot of milage in since then.

Harry: "Teachers will never get replaced so long as going off to college, partying, and getting drunk remain such an attraction to 18 year olds." Why do you say that? What you need in this environment is a warden, not a teacher. It may be a bit Orwellian, but I can see a time when colleges are merely large appartment complexes that "students" live in together. Classes could all be held upon the Internet. Teachers become less of a requirement when the course material is set. Simply hire more security guards. (And now on a brighter note...)

Peter: As referenced above, I agree that when one doesn't have the alternative to attend "college," digital/distance education becomes much, much greater in value. PS. Can you give us a note to where any information on that UNC student incident with Kraft might be? If you or someone has already sent this to the list, I apologise for missing it.