URL for Presence Info Protocols discussion tuesday

Here it is:

http://ils.unc.edu/~buchp/inls310/pips/pips.htm

There is a lot of technical info - this is a pet topic for me.  Just have a
look at the What Are They, Why Do We Care, and Extending the Model sections.

I know that buddy lists seem pretty tame, but think about the potential of
these two technologies, if you really opened things up.

1. Open directories.  Places that store information about you, not just name
address, but everything you want people to know, at the moment or in
general.

2. Subscription-notification protocols.  Subscribe to a property, like your
buddy being signed on, and get notified when it happens.  Big deal.  But
what if the property could be anything - selling a car, looking for love,
etc?

See you tuesday,
pb