Victory in the war to save our Culture!!

THIS PUT A BIG SMILE ON MY FACE!!

Metallica Drops Several Colleges From Napster Lawsuit
(4/24/00, 6 p.m. ET) - Metallica has announced that its dropped several
universities from its lawsuit against Napster and others who distribute
copyrighted material over the Internet. Yale University, Indiana University,
and the University of Southern California have all either completely blocked
access to the music delivery system, or are only allowing access for
"demonstrably legal purposes." Metallica says it will still go after others
who continue to permit the pirating of copyrighted songs and recordings.
Indiana University spokesperson Chris Simpson told LAUNCH that the college
put a filter on their network prohibiting access to Napster, after learning
of Metallica's lawsuit. "I think we understood what Napster was doing prior
to the suit," he said. "What was unclear to us at the time was the myriad
legal questions that have been unresolved and unanswered. And it became clear
to us that until these legal issues are clarified the most prudent move was
to block access henceforth to Napster."

In a statement, Metallica reached out to universities. "We are optimistic
that all responsible universities upon recognizing the devastating effect
Napster has had on intellectual property rights will join with Yale
University, Indiana University, and USC in immediately banning access to
Napster for illegal purposes."

-- Darren Davis, New York