[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: MD 650 (108 to 108), 32 and Other maryland roads

In article <41vgr1$3o1@clark.net>, Kevin Atkinson <kevinatk@home.com> wrote:
}I was wondering if any one else thinks that the 40mph speed limit on MD
}650 from 108 at Sandy Springs to 108 near Damascus is ABSURD.  Especally
}the Damascus road part (Md. 97 to 108) which is rather straight with
}excellent visablity (never even had to slow down below 50).  That part
}really should be 50 (like all the other maryland roads of its type).  I
}can understand while it might be 40 on the other part (97 to 108 at Sandy
}Springs) due to the many shart turnes however I still think that should
}be 50 too.

It _WAS_ 50mph a few years ago.  This created an amusing situation
where the 2-lane undivided single-lane RT 650 with a 50mph speed limit
become a 6-lane divided highway with limits from 35-40mph.  Probably
the residents complained.  (but the road was there first)

}Do other states have such ridiculously low backroads (and even main road)
}speed limits.  I notice that almost ALL two land non state roads have a
}speed limit no greater than 35.

That's Montgomery County for you.  I've been nabbed on a 4-lane
divided highway with a 25mph speed limit.

}On a similer note is MD 32 from 108 to a little past I-70 the only two
}lane road with a 55 mph speed limit (most others or 50) in maryland.  Did
}howard county have to pull some special tricks so that it can be 55?  I
}notice it is extremely straight with very wide shoulders.

No, there's Rt 75 in between I-70 and Old Annapolis Road.  It does
have wide shoulders, but it isn't all that straight.  That's Frederick
County.  They don't have a county police force, which probably helps
keep limits almost reasonable.

--
Matthew T. Russotto      russotto@pond.com     russotto@his.com
of justice is no virtue."