[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: The fallacy of DRLs

Some of the arguments against DRLs sound like the ones applied, in
Britain, against making the wearing of seat belts compulsory. The
law passed because it saves lives. Lots of them. The same criterion
should be applied to DRLs.

I agree that the US has some absurdly over-protective laws which
prevent marignally dangerous threats. Cheese made from unpasteurised
milk, for example, is banned in the US; twenty-year-olds can't buy
beer. Yet forcing drivers to wear seat belts or to drive with DRLs
doesn't seem to me to be in the same league. Sometimes people must
be coerced into acting responsibly.

Charles Day