[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Repeal of National Speed Limit

The repeal of the speed limit is still in limbo....

The House-Senate conferees can't agree on letting Amtrak raid the highway
trust fund or letting billboards be put up on scenic roads.  Those are
the major problems, the speed limit is but a small player.

We keep an update on the progress on our website, but there won't be any
change until the conferees meet again Tuesday.  And even then, there may
not be any change.

On a separate note, the Gov. of California, Pete Wilson, signed into law
a bill raising the max speed limit to 70 if the feds junk the NMSL.  It
sailed through both houses there without a single negative vote!  (Hah!
And the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety thinks they'll get a more
fair hearing on the speed limit issue at the state level.)  This action
may make it politically harder for Clinton to say no to the NHS bill,
something he's not likely to do anyhow.

--
National Motorists Association      	Join the NMA!
nma@genie.geis.com                  	$29 a year.