[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Cops: Can't Live With Them, Can't Live Without Them

In article <D797xz.9Ao@liii.com>, iguana@pine.liii.com (David B. Feig) wrote:

> I think the police should encourage wreckless driving.

Pardon moi!

> Fines for speeding DO NOT work.  Most everyone on the road speeds to a
> certain reasonable extent.  It just gives them some incentive to be careful.

Gee, sounds like that incentive you are talking about proves my point.

Besides most police ignore "reasonable" speeding (5-10mph). If they don't,
even I agree they're being pricks. I never wrote anyone until they were
past 10mph over, (unless I really had it out for them, and there was
nothibng else
I could do)

> At least where I live, police officers are not only driving dangerously
> when responding to calls.  They typically will make any traffic move when
> they have room to do so -- including running red lights, making illegal
> turns, and even speeding.  This does not include when they are actually
> responding to calls.

How do you know where they are going, or what they are doing, are you psychic?
I don't see how an Emergency Vehicle can make an "illegal turn," or speed
for that matter. Emergency Vehicles are exempt from most traffic
regulations, with the stipulation that the driver uses "reasonable care"
not to endanger others.

Sorry, but the fact is in this instance (I know you're going to hate this, but)
police are just allowed to do things, you're not.

> Of course we are idiots for not driving off into the
> shoulder of the road to avoid the cop who runs a red light, with no
> strobes or sirens on, because he's ready for that next pot of coffee.

That's NOT what I was talking about. I very clearly stated people who are
so oblivious to what is going on that they can't hear a siren that's 10
feet behind them. Beleive me, there are lots of them out there.

> I suppose the public is just "dumb shits" to you.  Most of us just want
> to get from point A to B in a reasonable and timely manner, and the State
> wants to make an extra $100 here and there.

No I don't think everyone's a dumbshit. But I know from personal
experiance that
"dumb-shits" comprise a higher percentage of the general population than
most people would think!

Jamie-Andrea Yanak