[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Daytime Running lights - The facts

Let's try this again..

In article <3nlh25$86c@gradlab11.me>, tlcoste@mtu.edu said:
>: Wrong.  the reason teh third brake light works is not because it makes
>: the car "different", but becaues the light coincidentally happens to be
>: where everybody looks.
>
>   Personally, I think the only advantage to a third brake light is that
>when some moron who doesn't take care of his car is running with a
>burned out bulb, you won't confuse him with a motorcycle at night.  :)

I find third brake lights to be handy for this reason:

I drive a low car (a 3rd gen RX-7) and while I can often see through the
greenhouse of the car in front of me, I usually CANNOT see the brake lights
of the cars in front of them. Having the third brake light up high where I
can see it through the greenhouse of other cars means that I get much more
advanced warning that I'm going to need to slow down. This is especially
helpful if the cars in front are braking hard, because it gives you an extra
half-second or more to react, which can be especially important in congested
rush-hour traffic.

Sorry for the partial previous posting, I need to add a confirmation box to
my news posting software.

Michael Johnson
Relay Technology, Inc.