[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Daytime running lights

In article <405mb7$1cs@nnrp2.primenet.com> gribble@primenet.com writes:

>I was asked to repost the following info concerning Daytime Running Lights.

Actually, in a prior post you claimed:

	"Of the studies done in countries where DRLs are pretty much the
	norm or at least very common, the statistics show that accidents
	have gone up, not down, since the use of DRLs began."

and I asked if you could post the studies which supported this.

The study you mention from Norway said:

	"The total number of multiparty accidents in daylight was not
	reduced."

"not reduced" does not mean "have gone up, not down".  I think you will also
find that study from Finland and Sweden (which introduced DRLs quite a bit
earlier than in Norway) says:

	"it was found that daylight accidents involving more than one
	vehicle were reduced by 10% while daylight accidents between motor
	vehicles and unprotected road users were reduced by 15-20%."

Funny, this seems to contradict your claim that accidents have increased.
Apparently you must have posted the abstracts from the wrong studies.  Could
you post the studies which support your claim that accident rates go up when
DRLs are commonplace?

Thanks,

Tim

Follow-Ups: References: