[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Daytime running lights

> I was asked to repost the following info concerning Daytime Running Lights.
> Last time I posted this it resulted in a thread of over 100 articles, most of
> them trying to dispute the research results thru the recitation of antecdotal
> reports.

Oh goody, here we go again.

<some crap snipped>
> expected benefits.  The studies that did turn up some benefit were, for
> example, from Canada, where DRLs are still in the novelty stage as far as the
> number of cars so equiped.

Yeah, the novelty stage. DRLs have been mandatory here for 5 years. GM
started selling DRL-equipped cars here since 1989.

>  It's not suprising that when only a very few cars
> have DRLS that  such cars get noticed and don't get hit.  That effect can be
> expected to disappear in future years as DRLs appear on all cars and my
> expectatin would be that they will wind up with the same results as Norway.

You tool. If I have to repeat this argument one more time...

1) DRIVE on a Canadian highway. What are all those cars doing with
their lights on? DRLs are mandatory. Trying to dismiss the Canadian
study because "DRLS are a novelty" only makes you look like a fool.

2) DRLs increase visibility. All you have to do is drive on a 2-lane
highway in Canada to prove this. I just completed a 1000km journey
this past weekend on Ontario 2-lane highways. Odd how you can see
those DRL-equipped cars coming from farther away.

3) DRLs cost practically nothing. They do not interfere with your
driving pleasure. You won't even notice they are there. I will.

All I hear is Americans bitching about something they know nothing
about.
Stop quoting obscure Norwiegan studies and get on the road. You'll
discover the difference soon enough.

Tom

Tom Foottit                              Computer Systems Engineering
tfoottit@chat.carleton.ca                Carleton University

Follow-Ups: References: