[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Daytime running lights

In article <408kjl$r7t@news.cloud9.net>, firebug@cloud9.net (firebug) says:

>In article <DD0C7L.3uo@cunews.carleton.ca>,
>Tom Foottit <tfoottit@chat.carleton.ca> wrote:
>>2) DRLs increase visibility. All you have to do is drive on a 2-lane
>
>If people are so inattentive that cars in broad daylight need to have their
>lights on to be seen, there is a MUCH more serious problem than can be
>solved by DRLs.

Sorry but I must agree with Foottit:
I drive over 45,000km a year in all sorts of weather on mountainous
Canadian highways with lots of trees and shadows around. Brightly
colored cars stand out, dark ones don't. With DTRL's they all stand
out from the background
The extra margin of visibility is and has been a life saver on several
occasions when passing B-trains or "Rocky Mountain Specials "on two
lane uphills with my econo station wagon.
Even when I'm using my 100 watt lights, I disconnect the DTRL's and
drive with the low beams on.