[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Daytime running lights

In <408kjl$r7t@news.cloud9.net> firebug@cloud9.net (firebug) writes:

>In article <DD0C7L.3uo@cunews.carleton.ca>,
>Tom Foottit <tfoottit@chat.carleton.ca> wrote:
>>2) DRLs increase visibility. All you have to do is drive on a 2-lane

>If people are so inattentive that cars in broad daylight need to have their
>lights on to be seen, there is a MUCH more serious problem than can be
>solved by DRLs.

  Point being, though that there unfortunately are inattentive drivers out
there, in addition to the stubborn motorists who refuse to turn on their
own lights when driving.  Of course a car is easy to see in broad
daylight - DRL's simply act as a convienient and practical means of
making an automobile even more visible for both the attentive driver as
well as the inattentive.
  And for those who are "blinded" by DRL's, there rests the MUCH more
serious problem.  Anyone who is blinded by a highbeam at a fraction of it's
full intensity in broad daylight when the pupil is at minimal dialation,
but can drive without discomfort at night when the pupil is dialated and low
beams are being used has a problem that can't be solved by DRL's, or
even surgery for that matter.  Try walking.
  And finally, for the "statistics" showing that these tools are SO
detremental to the motorist, let's have some sources, please.  I myself
would like to view these statistics personally, rather than wade through
some reactionary commentary fueled by ignorance.
  DRL's assist in judging distance and more importantly, position of
oncoming traffic - an invaluable tool in driving, especially on two-lane
roads.  Cripes, that's just terrible.
  Michael Edward Rybak                   Madness will take it's toll...
  umrybak@cc.umanitoba.ca                Please have exact change.