[Prev][Index][Thread]

Re: Daytime Running Lights... The issue on my web site!

In article <Pine.SOL.3.91.951009003842.7468A-100000@osiris> Nick Bassett
<nbassett@osiris> writes:

> Here are the PROs and CONs
A pretty weak list.

> PRO
> - people don't have to remember to turn on their headlights everytime it
> gets dark.

I rented a car last week which had those daylight running lights.  The
great thing about them is that they lit up the dash without turning on the
rear lights.  So there I was, several times, driving down the street with
the drl's on but no other lights.   Personally, I think that system is more
of a menace that an aid.

> - no danger of people trying to save their bulbs by driving with just
> their parking lights on at dusk.

Like anyone really does this?

> - lower insurance rates.
valid

> CON
> - drunk drivers will no longer be characterized by cars travelling in the
> dark.
I assume this one is a joke.  Even if it isn't , it would seem that drunks
at night with no tailights would be noticed and even more importantly that
the drunk with any kind of lights is better than one with none.

> - people who STILL think they can save bulbs will diffuse their DRL
> system and possibly forget to put the fuse back in at night.
This one must be a joke also.

> - if you do all your driving in bright, sunny conditions, the only effect
> on you will be having to change your headlights more often!
It probably also means more light bulbs are out on cars because they will
go out more often, in calendar days.

> - undermines common sense.
I'm not sure we can afford that given the current level.

> - if mandated, insurance bonuses will come to an end anyway.
true

--
Joe Freeman		Joe@FreemanSoft.com (NeXT,MIME,ASCII Mail)
FreemanSoft Inc.	A NEXTSTEP software and consulting company in MD.

Opinions expressed do represent those of FreemanSoft Inc and not NeXT Inc.
Yes, I do work for NeXT and they are not half as suprised about it as I am.