[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Question for Speeders

In article <3pu04u$6p1@news.duke.edu>,
Scott Nguyen  <yhn1@acpub.duke.edu> wrote:

>his/her car within 15 miles of the speed limit.  I hear that speed
>enforcement is a joke in USA, i.e.-they ticket when they feel like it..

You are not the only one who thinks that. Here is a Press Release
from the National Motorists Association:

	National Motorists Association
	6678 Pertzborn Road, Dane, Wisconsin 53529	608/849-6000

	For Immediate Release			Media Contact:

	June 1, 1995				James J. Baxter

						President

						608/849-6000

		Federal Study Finds Speed Limits Irrelevant

	Dane, WI -

		"The federal government spent over half a million dollars
	and five years on an exhaustive study of speed limits, and then
	buried it. The study was buried because it didn't come up with
	the answers that the Washington establishment wanted." James J.
	Baxter, President of the National Motorists Association, made
	that claim in a letter to members of Congress who are
	deliberating on repeal of the 55 mph National Maximum Speed
	Limit.

		Mr. Baxter claims that the study, the most comprehensive
	study done on speed limits in over 30 years, clearly proves that
	speed limits, as employed in the United States, have virtually no
	influence on driver behavior. "Raise the limit, lower the limit,
	or remove the signs altogether, and traffic speeds do not
	materially change. Furthermore, raising or lowering speed limits
	has no meaningful influence on traffic safety."

		The study, conducted under the supervision of the Federal
	Highway Administration, monitored and measured driver response to
	speed limit manipulations at 247 locations around the United
	States. Accident frequency was monitored at the same time.
	"These were not abstract computer simulations or esoteric
	mathematical exercises; these were first-hand, on-the-ground,
	cause and effect comparisons."

		"We were not surprised by the finding that most speed limits
	are grossly underposted in relation to existing vehicle speeds
	and roadway design capabilities. Underposting by 10-15 mph is
	the rule rather than the exception," said the NMA's President.

		"This research effort was completed two years ago, submitted
	for rigorous peer review, and sent off to the Transportation
	Research Board to be forgotten and ignored. These were not the
	kinds of results that the safety establishment, insurance
	industry, or enforcement agencies wanted publicized. They fly in
	the face of 40 years of 'speed kills' propaganda and call serious
	question to traffic enforcement priorities. Millions of
	motorists, every year, suffer financial losses, totaling
	billions of dollars, as a result of unwarranted tickets and
	wasted time related to irrationally underposted speed limits.
	This study proves that point. Small wonder they tried to bury
	it."

				***END***

	The National Motorists Association (NMA) was established in 1982
	to represent the interests and rights of American motorists. It
	operates at the national level and through a system of state chapters.
	The NMA is solely supported through the contributions of individuals,
	families, and small businesses. For general information, call
	608/849-6000; for membership information, call 1-800-882-2785.

--
Lothar Dahlmeyer         			ldahlmey@aoc.nrao.edu
Notorius Radium Astrology Obscuratory		http://info.aoc.nrao.edu/