[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Question for Speeders

In article <3pu04u$6p1@news.duke.edu>,
Scott Nguyen  <yhn1@acpub.duke.edu> wrote:
>Hey all....
>
>         I was wondering how many of you who actually consider yourselves
>speeders have gotten tickets..  speeder=one who can't seem to keep
>his/her car within 15 miles of the speed limit.  I hear that speed
>enforcement is a joke in USA, i.e.-they ticket when they feel like it..
>I drive relatively fast (averaged 78 on a 6 hour trip from Atlanta to
>Raleigh) and have never gotten a ticket..  I was wondering if this was
>the same with all of you out there who seem to have lead-foot...

Well, I'll have to agree with you that speed enforcement is a joke.
Its quite clear that speeding tickets aren't much of a deterrent as
it is a source of revenue for the community you receive the ticket
in.  Anyway... I'll get off of my soapbox and tell you that I drive
around 75mph on short highway trips and usually around 85mph for
long (>50 mile) highway trips.  I haven't gotten a ticket in over
four years, but I do keep an extremely cautious, watchful eye over
my rear-view.  Things to look out for when speeding (if you didn't
already know! ;): check highway on-ramps for lurking cops when
you go by, slow down when highways merge (just in case), check your
rear-view frequently (especially look out for shiny cars in the
distance... police cars are always shiny-clean!).  Also.. it wouldn't
help to be reasonable about how much and when you speed (ie: in
heavy traffic, bad idea).

Follow-Ups: References: