[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Driving Pet Peeves

In article <3rq7ib$o78@gap.cco.caltech.edu> bradley@seismo.gps.caltech.edu (Brad Woods) writes:

   How about some kind of nation-wide bicyclers group to effect legislative
   reform with regard to road safety?  Mothers against drunk drivers have been
   fairly successful at tightening-up drunk-driving laws and enforcement.
   Well, why not BADD: Bikers (Bicyclers if you wish) Against Dangerous Drivers?
   The first law could be federal zero-tolerance for car phone, i.e. use one
   and lose your car and license.  Car phones are a lot more dangerous to a biker
   or pedestrian than a joint.  The guy that hit me (he was turning right at a red
   light was on his car phone, but didn't smell like he had been smoking-out or
   drinking.

I have the same feeling about this that I have about the annual flurry of
legislative activity called the federal crime bill.  I don't honestly think
that our country is badly in need of new laws.  We simply need enforcement of
the existing ones.  When a car hits a bike and the driver is at fault, charges
should be filed and the sentencing should be no different than when a car hits
another car.  Too often, this is not the case.

   I'm dead serious here, folk.  Anyone who has been hit by a car while on their
   bike or knows someone else who has knows what I mean.

   I bike to work most every day (I'm lucky, I live in SoCal).  I help to keep
   the level of air polution down, I help to lower the amount of traffic, I
   help to keep the demand, hence price of gas down, AND if I should hit anyone
   (which I haven't done yet in about 14 years of heavy bike-riding) I will
   not kill or cripple them, SO I want some respect and some rights on the
   road.

I'm rather proud of being in my 6th summer of bicycle commuting.  I consider
the fact that my Motobecane is on its 3rd saddle and just had its bottom
bracket worked over to be badges of honor.  I earned those with lots of
peddling in three cities.  I'm happy to say that the majority of drivers I
meet share the road rather amiably.  But the respect that I deserve is not
earned by doing anyone else a favor.  My taxes help to pay for the road I am
using.  Like every driver and pedestrian on it, I am entitled to use it within
the constraints set down by law to maintain safety.  As long as I stay under
the speed limit, right of center, signal properly and so forth, I have as much
right to a piece of the road as anyone else doing the same.

- Dale
--
'95 bicycle commuting season: 45 days, 370 km
Weather today: cold, drizzle, overcast.  Of course I rode to work!