[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Repeal of the National Speed Limit Law

Chris Glasser (Chris.Glasser@ColumbiaSC.ATTGIS.COM) wrote:
: Right. Going 85 in a 55 MPH zone is perfectly safe. Even if everyone else is
: going 55-65.
: Do you really believe that?

I think we all agree that it's the speed differential, blah blah blah

: What if you're going 75 or 85 in a 55, and the guy in the lane next to you
: about 150 feet in front of you has a tire blow out? What if he then loses
: control of his car temporarily and swerves into your lane? At 75, you have
: MUCH less time to react than at 55. Your brakes will not be able to slow your
: car down anywhere near as well. Your car will not handle as well as 75. You
: have a much greater chance of hitting this guy going 75 than 55. Do you deny
: this?

Of course not, but I can equally claim "You have a much greater chance
of hitting this guy going 55 than 35."  Or "35 than 15".  Or "15 than
0".  I think they call this one "Slippery Slope", no?

Besides, how fast was the other guy going?  It's the speed differential,
dontcha know (there's an echo in here).

: And common sense also says that the faster you're driving, the less time you
: have to react to unexpected situations. If you're driving an interstate at
: night, your headlights can only cover a certain amount of ground in front of
: you. If you're going 75 in a 55, by the time your headlights hit some
: unexpected debris on the road you will not have any chance of avoiding that
: debris.

Would anybody care to discuss the pathetic headlights the US DOT has
foisted on us up until very recently?  Don't overdrive your lamps,
folks.

: The average car's brakes are far less effective at stopping from 75 than at
: 55.

And "55 than at 35", and - oh, well, you do understand, don't you?

--

Todd Mullins
todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil	On the lovely Mississippi (USA) Coast