[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: driver's ed. is a joke

 >    On which road?  If I own a road, (racetrack, whatever,)  I have a
 > perfect right to demand anyone using it to show me proof of competence
 > before I let them on it.  The Government has that same right.  Driving
 > on public roads is a previlidge extended to us by our government.

My follow-up is a US-centered one, but bear with it. :)

Quoting the "Frogfarm FAQ" (available at this URL:
gopher://gopher.etext.org/11/Legal/FrogFarm/ ):

"Operation  of a motor vehicle upon public streets and highways is not a
mere  privilege but is a right or liberty protected by the guarantees of
Federal and State constitutions."  Adams v. City of Pocatello 416 P2d 46

"The RIGHT of the citizen to DRIVE on the public street with freedom
from police interference, unless he is engaged in suspicious
conduct associated in some manner with criminality is a FUNDAMENTAL
CONSTITUTIONAL RIGHT which must be protected by the courts."  People
v. Horton 14 Cal.  App.  3rd 667 (1971)

"The right of a citizen to travel upon the public highways and to
transport his property thereon, by horse-drawn carriage, wagon, or
automobile is not a mere privilege which may be permitted or prohibited
at will, but a common right which he has under his right to life,
liberty, and the pursuit of happiness."  Slusher v. Safety Coach Transit
Co.,  229 Ky 731, 17 SW2d 1012, and affirmed by the Supreme Court in
Thompson v. Smith 154 S.E.  579.

"The license charge imposed by the motor vehicle act is an excise
or privilege tax, established for the purpose of revenue in order
to provide a fund for roads while under the dominion of the state
authorities, it is not a tax imposed as a rental charge or a toll charge
for the use of the highways owned and controlled by the state." - PG&E
v. State Treasurer, 168 Cal 420.

--
Eugene Tyurin, Inst. for Theoretical Physics  -  Stony Brook Univ.
            WWW: http://www.physics.sunysb.edu:80/~gene/index.html