Re: Video speed traps a hoax

<Pine.SOL.3.91.950802103959.19710F-100000@welchlink.welch.jhu.edu>:

> > On Tue, 1 Aug 1995, snopes wrote:
> > >                               THE HARTFORD COURANT
> > >                               July 28, 1995 Friday
> > >
> > >             VIDEO SPEED TRAPS A HIGH-TECH HOAX, STATE POLICE SAY
> > >
> > >    Video camera speed traps on I-95 Conn.
> > >    The warning flashed across the Internet, angering on-line users
> > > convinced that the state police had installed Big Brother-like cameras
> > > on the state's highways.
> > >    The computer message is simply an urban myth -- and an old one at
> > > that. It's the high-tech successor to a hoax that has been passed around
> > > for a decade or more through more conventional means.
> >
> > A number of years ago my cousins living in Belgium told me the system
> > was being used there. Does anyone know if this was also a UL or is it
> > being used in Europe and serving as the springboard for the US UL?
> > They also reported ULish stories of photos being sent home and wives
> > questioning husbands about why they were in a certain town at a certain
> > time.
> >
> > Konrad "but Belgium's small, you can get anywhere in 15 min." Vandegaer
>
> Well, lots of different systems are used in Europe. In fact, I fail to
> understand what's so exciting about that story.
>
> Anyway, as to using such a system for red light crossing delicts, for some
> time I spent one evening a week in a pub at a crossing where such an
> instrument was installed. At times, you could have believed there was a
> thunderstorm outside, only no rain and no thunder but lots of blue
> flashes.
>
> Installations with cameras are also, I believe, used for speeding control
> - I seem to remember that another instrument detects the speeding, and the
> camera is for proof (and identity).
>
> The things are commonly called "Starenkästen" (starling boxes?, a device
> commonly used to feed and/or house birds in winter, which looks similar).
>
> In fact, there are lots of stories (and no doubt some ULs) in Germany
> about interesting pictures taken that way, and what the authorities did
> about it. The last I heard was about someone speeding to get to his
> daughter's(?) marriage. He had the picture framed and mounted on the wall.
>
> Ah yes, and there have even been "fake" boxes hung to stop people from
> speeding.
>
> Kai
> --
> Internet: kai@khms.westfalen.de
> Bang: major_backbone!khms.westfalen.de!kai
> http://www.westfalen.de/~kai/

UK has Gatsometers - and plenty of them now - standing camera takes a
picture and offence is notified via post with picture. Used for all speed
limits on non motorway roads. London orbital M25 now fiited with same
cameras on overhead gantrys (about to become operational with variable
speed limit). Hand held cameras also legal now from roadside or motorway
bridge etc. ie takes picture and summons follows.  Its generally slowed
motorway driving by 10 - 15 MPH.