[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

65 means 65

OK, OK, for a LONG time (since 1973/4) the speed limit has been a
federally mandated 55.  Now, it's not anymore.  55 was so widely
ignored that the concept of "you'll never get pulled over for less
than 10 over" was the unwritten rule.  I'm 26.  I learned to drive
this way.  So a long trip meant just plunking the needle at 62 and
keeping it there.  Nobody would bother you for that.

Now, it's 65.  65, WOW, guess we can do 75?  80?

A friend of mine in college got a ticket in South Carolina for 70
in a 65 zone.  A margin of error of +/- 5 mph is reasonable.  In
Maryland, along the I-95 corridor, you can and will be pulled over
for doing 70.

So basically, nothing has really changed, except that I can now
make my long trips at 67 instead of 62, and not worry about getting
a ticket.  There are, undoubtedly, pockets where enforcement is
lax at best.  But don't expect the same policies to exist as when
the law was 55.

BTW, when going from a 65 to a 55 zone, I find myself actually DOING
between 55 and 60, whereas I used to (along w/everyone else) do about
62.  Consider it a small price to pay for the luxury of cruising at
68 without fear of reprisal.

Anyone know if NY State has switched to 65 yet?
--
Member, Leukemia Society's "Team in Training." | Tax-deductible contributions
Run/walk in Bermuda Marathon, Jan. 12-15, 1996 | accepted and welcome.  Email