[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Kevin's posts

In article <404cou$l46@clark.net> Kevin Atkinson wrote:

>They DO show what really happing.  Ok if a LA freeway speed limit went up
>to 85 mph (well above the 85th percentile speed on almost any road) do you
>honesly think most people will do 95-100? (Challenge ONE)

Nope. I don't. Because Americans are NOT trained to be able to
handle these speeds safely. A small % WOULD go 95-100.  That's
not the point.  There will be NO 85 speed limit in yours or my lifetime.
The issue is if raised to 65 or 75, will they exceed.  I say ABSOLUTELY.

>(Challenge TWO) Ask you students if the limit was raised 10 to 15 mph if
>they would exceed it automatically.

Kev...I DID ask. In TWO classes now (since Jaime asked me to) and
the answer was "probably".  And there it is.  These are average drivers
who absolutey reflect a cross section of California drivers who were
the ones who got caught.  If there were more cops, more would be
caught.

Thanks for your post.  I would not ignore an intelligently stated challenge
like yours.  I ignore the flamers.  I don't have a 7 second delay in
cyberspace to do to them what I do to them on the air.

Kenny Morse
"Mr. Traffic"

Follow-Ups: References: