[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: traffic lights

Stephen Dailey writes:

>In article <EIJKHOUT.95Oct24135848@jacobi.math.ucla.edu> eijkhout@jacobi.math.ucla.edu (Victor Eijkhout) writes:
>>From: eijkhout@jacobi.math.ucla.edu (Victor Eijkhout)
>>Subject: Re: traffic lights
>>Date: 24 Oct 1995 20:58:48 GMT

>>In article <46imk0$du1@clark.net> dlr@clark.net (David Robinowitz) writes:

>>> Any operating systems student will remind you that timed lights are only
>>> effective on one-way streets.

>>Not if you set different speed limits for the directions.
>>Better: have signs that say "if you drive xxx mph you will hit
>>all greens". I'd be perfectly happy going a bit under the legal
>>speed limit if I could just keep going.

>Glendale, Arizona, does this, or at least they did the last time I was there
>five years ago.  There's a sign on each traffic signal saying "Signals Set for
>30 mph" or whatever the speed limit is.  They are, too.

Charlottesville, VA, does as well (in places).  But I recall seeing that the
signals were set for about 25 mph, as posted, in an area where the speed limit
was 40 or 45!

Here in Michigan, the signals on Michigan Avenue (US-12) are set for about 50
mph or so.  The speed limit is 40.  Guess how fast people drive?  :-)

John Oliver
Canton, MI

'94 Probe GT
'92 Trek 2100

All opinions expressed above are my own and in no way represent the views of
Ford Motor Co.