[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Solve speeding by limiting cars!

In article <3pu04u$1f2@ludes.com>, marks@ludes.com says...

writes:
>>> Why aren't cars sold with
>>>speed limiters at 65 mph to keep from exceeding the limits of the law?
>>
>>Hey, cut out my vocal chords so I can't commit slander.  Remove my
penis so
>>that I could not possibly rape some one.  Make me wear a tracking
device just
>>in case the government wants to know where I am.
>
>Your vocal chords have legitimate uses. Slander is not all it is capable
of.
>Your penis has legitimate uses. Rape is not all it is capable of. A
tracking
>device would infringe on your right to privacy, and would require you to
>wear a device or have one implanted in you. All your examples would
involve
>an intrusion into your body. There is no legitimate reason to exceed the
>maximum speed limit, and there is no reason that cars should be able to
do
>it.

There is a legitimate use for going more than 65.  When passing.  When
passing someone you are legally allowed to have a 15mph speed
superiority.  Making the highest needed speed about 70 to 75mph, because
if it's 65, then there's more than one lane.  You'll only need to pass in
a 55 to 60mph zone.  I can also see where speeding up to get out of
someones way could be useful; for example you're in the left lane of a
2-lane 65mph zone and there's a car on your right.  Some jerk in a big
old hot-rod lincoln stars closing on your butt at 90mph.  I'd sure want
to get out of the way enough to change lanes!

There's also a movement going on now to repeal the national 65mph speed
limit, and let states set their own again.  What if that passes and then
there's no longer a speed limit in places like Montana?

What if they did make speed limiters a law.  Would I have to get my older
car retrofitted?  What about all those hobbyists who like to drag race
their street cars on the weekends (at a track of course)?  The NHRA is
probably a pretty powerful lobby.

Tom.