[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Re: Solve speeding by limiting cars!

In article <snagiel-1411952325550001@turm-a27.resnet.emory.edu>,
Shahak Nagiel <snagiel@emory.edu> wrote:
>> In article <4895bo$oar@nntp.atlanta.com>,  <dwarner@atlanta.com> wrote:
>> >Strangely enough, I'm still alive, and the only times I've suffered bent
>> >sheetmetal were in parking lots and bumper-to-bumper traffic..  Oh, I
>> >also ended up in a ditch after missing a turnoff on a dark rainy night at
>> >about 10 MPH UNDER the posted limit, "proving" that low speeds
>> >cause accidents.
>>
>> Good point. I'm only 22 and have only been driving for 5 years, but despite
>> nearly always exceeding the speed limit I've received no tickets and the only
>> time I've ever had a collision was when I was pulling out of a driveway very
>> slowly on a residential street and hit a parked car, breaking the cover on
>> my taillamp. That PROVES that low speeds cause accidents, too.
>>
>   Sorry. These things prove nothing but the fact that accidents are
>possible under any conditions.  You both got in accidents (or ditches) not
>necessarily because you were going slow, but because you were unfamiliar
>with the area in poor weather or just not observent enough.  Had you been
>going faster, it just would have been worse.  Speed in and of itself is

Of course, this is obvious. I was being sarcastic; of course I didn't hit
the parked car because I was going slow. I was just saying that speed is
a minor factor in accidents; I hit the car because I wasn't paying attention
to the back of my vehicle. Speeding has never gotten me into an accident.
I never exceed my perception of what seems to be a safe speed.

Speeding, as defined by exceeding the posted speed limit is a very minor
problem compared to tailgating, driver inattentiveness, drunk driving,
unsafe lane changes, and driving too fast for the road conditions (which
may or may not be above the speed limit).

And yes, I'm a student at Caltech, I know all about momentum.

--
Adam Villani
addam@cco.caltech.edu