You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Apr 2004

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00102 Apr 2004

Apr 2004 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

Sri Parthasarathi thunai
Srimathe Ramanujaya Namaha
Sri Vara Vara MunayE Namaha
Sri vAnAchala mahA munayE Namaha

Paasuram-14

?nArAyaNan ennai ALi naragaththu

 sErAmal kAkkum thirumAl than- pErAna

 pEsapperAdha piNachsamaiyar pEsakkEttu

 Asai pattu AzhvAr palar.?

?Oh! Azhveer you declare Narayanan to be the prapyam (goal) and prApagam (means) but why are not many people accepting the same?? enquired a few.  Azhvar replies, ? That is due to the confusion created by a few people who do not even have the blessings to utter the divine names of emperuman? in the above paasuram.

(nArayaNan ennai ALi) Why worry about others emperuman has captured me.  Emperuman is the Supreme Being who rules over all the worlds but still has showered a special love on me.  Due to that I have been given a special position.  Why should I worry about others? Keeping these words in mind emperumAnAr in his gadyatrayam says, ?akila jagath svAmin asmadsvAmin?.

  How is emperuman saving you?

(naragaththu sErAmal kAkkum) Emperuman saved me from getting attacked by the deadly hell of samsAram.  It is for sure that a great yogi like thirumazhisai azhvar will never go to the different hells attained after death by a jeevan who had done different types of sins.  Here azhvar refers to only samsAra as hell.  Infact this hell of samsAra is crueler than the different hells because atleast for those hells the nature is well known.  So that people be cautious and refrain from doing the various sins that will lead them to the various hells.  But the nature of this samsAra is a sweet poison.  It seems to be very attractive and hence no one really wants to get away from it.  So this is punishment in disguise.

Both the previous paasuram and this paasuram declare that nArayaNan is the means.  But there is a slight difference in both the paasurams.  Upayam is one that does two things; one is IshtaprApthi (give what is required) and the other anishtanivriththi (remove the obstacles).  In the previous paasuram, ?veedAkkum meiporul thAn nArAyaNan? gives IshtaprApthi whereas here ?nArAyaNan ennai ALi naragaththu sErAmal kAkkum? does anishtanivriththi.

But all these days emperuman has kept you only in this samsAram today why should he prevent you from reaching the hell?

(thirumAl) He has started ruling over me due to the divine purushakaram (support) of the divine mother (piratti).  Emperuman is called as thirumAl as he is deeply involved in love with piratti.  He is crazy about her and hence he will never leave her feel sad or worried.  If he leaves her child without care how will she react?

(nArAyaNan thirumAl than pErAna)  He is the supreme still he has lost himself to the love of piratti declares the divine names ?nArAyaNan? and ?thirumAl?

(pErAna) The divine names that are celebrated as ?dEvO nAma sahasravAn? ?pErAyiram konda peedudaiyan nArAyaNan? ?pErum Oor Ayiram pirapala vudaiya emperuman?

(pEsapperAdha piNachsamaiyar) Those who have been cursed not even to utter the divine names of bhagavan.  Due to which their living is fruitless and hence they live like deadbodies (piNachsamaiyar) or otherwise those people follow philosophies/religion that do not have life and hence they may be called as ?piNachsamaiyar?

(pEsakkEttu) Many ignorant people go at the back of these attractive religions listening to the misleading words of those ?piNachsamaiyar? not knowing that they are sugarcoated pills.

(Asaipattu AzhvAr palar) People listen to the misleading words and get attracted and believe them to be the fact and start practicing it with great faith.  Due to this these people get immersed in the ocean of samsAra.  Azhvars immerse themselves in the kalyana gunas of emperuman (?kAlAzhum nenjazhiyum?) whereas these people immerse themselves into the ocean of samsAra.

What is the way to come out of this?

Emperuman is the only way.  When so many are drowning I am standing upright without any fear why? Because, ?nArAyaNan ennai ALi?, emperuman is always there to take care of me.

(To be continued)

Azhvar emperumAnAr Jeeyer thiruvadigalE sharaNam

Adiyen ramanuja dAsee
Sumithra Varadarajan

Yahoo! Groups Links

Home Page