You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Apr 2004

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00114 Apr 2004

Apr 2004 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

sri:
srimathE rAmAnujaya namaha
srimadh vara vara munayE namaha

Dear bhAgavathas,
Vedics Foundation (www.vedics.net) is pleased to announce a rare treat for us to listen to divine nectar for about 35 days together starting April 29th 2004 through June 6, 2004.

We are having Sri U. Ve. Velukkudi Krishnan swami amongst us visiting many cities in USA starting April 29. Please visit www.vedics.net to get the complete itenary for swami for various cities in USA. Please also take a moment to take a look at the teleupanyasam schedule at : http://www.vedics.net/tours/vk2004tour/tus.html

We have two tele-upanyasam series in Tamil during swami's trip here. All the lectures will be available in Telebridge at 7AM Local time (wherever swami is).  When swami is in west coast, arrangements have been made to make the lecture available again in the evening for the devotees in central and east coast. Please subscribe to these lectures and also spread the word to everyone. The registration page for the upanyasams is at: http://ramanuja.cc.uic.edu/cgi-bin/vksvami.pl . We have a nominal subscription fee of $108 for all the lecuters during this period. All the subscribed devotees will get all the lectures in mp3 format mailed to them after swami's tour is complete. Please provide us your correct mailing address when you register.

Subscribed devotees will be sent the dialing information in email. So please register soon. If you have not received your dialing information, please send email to vedic_discourse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

azhvAr emberumAnAr jeeyar thiruvadigalE saranam,
jeeyar thiruvadigalE saranam,

irAmAnusan adiyaragal,

--- In ramanuja@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, Chitra Madhavan <csmadhavan@s...> wrote:
Srimathe Ramanujaya Namaha

It is our privilage and great pleasure to bring you live Upanyasams starting from
April 29th to May9th PST 7:00am to 8:30am on Kanninun Siruththambhu, by none other than SRI.VELUKKUDI KRISHNAN SWAMI, with whom we all are very familiar with.
This topic is chosen to coincide with the celebration of Swami Madhurakavi Azhvar and
Thirumalai Ananthan Pillai who were born on the same month same star Chithirail Chithirai. This year the day falls on May 3rd, and we are blessed to have live lecture
on the most important link in DivyaPrabhandam. As most of us are familiar with knowledge laden upanyasams of Sri VKrishnan Swami, adiyen cannot justify an introduction.

Below is a small introduction on this subject.

Kanninun Chiruththambhu

 ?Vaiththa Thirumanthirathin maththimamaam padam pol

 Seertha Madhurakavi seikalaiyai ? aartha pugazh

 AAriyargal thaangal arulich cheyal naduve

 Serviththar thathparriyam therndhu?

Lord Sriman Narayana took incarnation as Nara and Narayana, and gave us the most holy of the mantras ? thirumantram. The middle part of thirumantram ? nama: is very special and important. It shows us the path to salvation, and also teaches us servitude to the Lord and His devotees. Just as how the nama: word is very special in the thirumantram, kaNNinun siruththAmbu is also special in the divya prabhandham ? especially as it teaches the epitome of a jIvA?s svaroopa ? servitude to the devotees to the Lord. Svami maNavALa mAmuni, in the above paasuram teaches us that learned elders made kaNNinun siruththaambu a part of the divya prabhandham.

Madhurakaviazhvar (the composer of kaNNi nun siruththaambu) was a disciple of svami Nammazhvar. His composition occupies a very important part of everyday, and festival rituals in all the temples. In Thirumala during daily Nithyanusandhanam, and adyayana uthsavam,  this is chanted daily in the end. This practice was established by Sri Alawandar, Peria Thirumalai Nambi, and Swami Ramanuja. Swami Ananthazhvan  confirmed   this by being born on the same day as Madhurakavi that is CHITHIRAIL CHITHIRAI (to show Acharya Bhakthi, like Madhurakavi). Even today in Azhvar Thirunagari kaNNinun siruththaambu is chanted as Thaniyan in front of Bhavishyadacharya sannidhi. For Thiruvoimozhi this also is chanted as part of Thaniyan. In Thirunarayanapuram (Gnana Mandapam), in front of Selvappillai this is chanted prior to Sevakalam.

Now let us see why this is held in such high esteem as ?Namaha?. Ohm denotes ?Akaram,Ukaram,and Makaram. Akara?s meaning is given in Thiruppalandu,and Periazhvar Thirumozhi. Ukara?s meaning is given in Thiruppavai, Nachiyar Thirumozhi, and Perumal Thirumozhi. Makaram is explained in Thiruchchandaviruththam, Thirumalai,Thiruppalliezhchchi and Amalan Adhipiran. Namaha is glorified by Kanninun Chiruththambhu.. Narayana?s greatness is provided in Peria Thirumozhi. Thus in Divya Prabhandam we see how Namaha is set.

Sri Madhura Kavi  realized that all the Divya Desam Perumals reside in the Thirumaeni of Swami Nammazhvar, and thus He has surrendered onto Him.  In all the Divya Desams Sri Nammazhvar is residing as SriSatari, and to get to wear SriSatari on His Head Madhura Kavi travels to all the Divya Desams. For Him Azhvar is the nectar. Perumal is secondary.

Sri Nathamuni got back the lost DivyaPrabhandam back from Nammazhvar by chanting Kanninun Chiruththambhu 12000  times. When one prays to the Lord directly what he wants may or may not happen. But if one goes through the Acharya, whatever one desires happens. This is proven by the very fact that we got Divya Prabhandam back only by chanting Madhurakavi?s work.

From May11th to June 6th we will have Stotra Ratna a great work of Swami Alawandar, regarding the location and time schedule please visit www.vedics.net. Here is a brief introduction below:

The simplest means by which we can attain to Him, in the present (Kali Yuga) is by singing His glory (bajans, slokas of our Purvacharyars and DivyaPrabhandams). Vedic rituals are for a few, but it is every individual?s right to sing hymns in praise of the Lord. In reply to a specific question from Yudhistira seeking out The name of Supreme Deity Bhishma stated ?one who sings with utter devotion about God Vishnu the Lord of the whole universe, will be rid of ills, evils and miseries and will attain a state of perfect bliss.

Our Purvacharyas with their intellect and intense religious devotion should obviously be our unerring guide. IT WOULD CERTAINLY BE MOST PLEASING TO GOD IF THEIR FOOTSTEPS ARE FOLLOWED AND SANG THE VERY SONGS SUNG BY THEM, the soul stirring hymns of unparalleled sweetness and excellence. The extraordinary greatness of the Sanskrit sloka is brought out in the name given to it ? STOTRA RATNA ?, a priceless gem, like Purana Ratna, and Mantra Ratna.

First and foremost, the Stotra Ratna is very dear to us, if not for any reason, for this reason ? It was give to us by none other than our dearest Swami AlavandAr (Yamunacharya), without whom Ramanuja would not have been discovered and taught the great concepts of our religion. Yamunacharya is also the grandson of Swami Nathamuni, without whom we will not even have the AzhvAr aruLichayals now.

In SriVaishnava literature this occupies a unique position of eminence, because it throws light on the ?Rahasyas?, portraying the true knowledge of one?s goal, in relation to one?s own self and the manner of attaining it. It is a very valuable fountain-source of the fund of knowledge, relating to Ubaya Vedantas, and expounding the intricacies of SriVaishnavism, available to us now. The later compositions of our Jagad Guru Swami Ramanuja, Parasara Bhattar, and Vedanta Desika bear the stamp of Yamuna?s scintillating work. In fact it was the recital of Stotra Ratna by Mahapurnar that cast the spell on Swami Ramanuja, who wanted to find out who wrote such a beautiful and clear stotra. From there on, Ramanuja became the disciple of Yamunacharya.

In the gadya trayam of Ramanuja, the exact words used to describe the qualities of our Lord are directly found in the Stotra Ratna. The Stotra Ratna is even more special as it introduces the beautiful concepts explained by our AzhvArs in the 4000 divya prabhandham to a Sanskrit audience. The ideas contained in Stotra Ratna come not only from the Vedic literature, but also directly from the AzhvAr works. In fact, there are two slokas that are almost direct translations of two pAsurams from the thiruvAymozhi.

In the first five Slokas Yamunacharya pours out His heart to the three great ones Sri Nathamuni, Sage Parasara bhattar, and saint Nammalvar.

In the sixth sloka He starts singing about Sriman Narayana, and 7-9 He states that not even the mighty Devas could comprehend the Lord.

Slokas 10-20 is highlighted with the infinite glory of Sriman Narayana, the sovereign Master, who is the abode for all that is auspicious.

Sloka 21 prepares the ground for surrender path.

Sloka 22-27 emphasizes absolute surrender to His Grace as the only course left to us.

Sloka 28-29 they reveal the benefits reaped by Lord?s spontaneous Grace.

Sloka 30-31 here He longs for the sight of the Divine Feet, and wants to bear the Divine Feet on His head.

Sloka32-45 Here He longs for Lord Vishnu?s beautiful vision in His celestial settings.

Sloka46 He earns for constant service.

Sloka 47-48 alternate despair and Hope

Sloka 49-51 Mutual relationship between God and man

Sloka 52-53 says that we can?t offer Him anything since everything is His property.

Sloka54-56 Stress upon constant and ecstatic devotion to Lord Sriman Narayana.

Sloka 57 utter dedication

Sloka 58-60 on our countless imperfections and the need to invoke His Grace

Sloka61 About author?s birth in a noble family and still didn?t develop good qualities

Sloka62 man?s severe disqualifications and our ineligibility for the Lord?s Grace

Sloka63-64 Proclaims Lord?s unlimited Grace and magnitude

Sloka 65 Beseeching The Lord to shed His Grace on himself, though He does not deserve at least for His grandfather Nathamuni?s sake.

Excepts from Sathyamoorthy Iyengar?s book.

Swami Nammazvar and Sri Parasara Bhattar's Thirunakshthrams falls on June 1st and 2nd when Sri.V.K Swami may speak on their contributions to Sri Vaishnavism.

 To sign up for this great oppurtunity please visit:

 http://ramanuja.cc.uic.edu/cgi-bin/vksvami.pl

For the whole series it is $108.00, and at the end you will also recive 2 CDs.

  iramanuja adiyargal

 Azhvar Emperumanaar Jeeyar Thiruvadigale Saranam.

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here

Yahoo! Groups Links