You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Apr 2004

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00121 Apr 2004

Apr 2004 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrI:

 Dear SrI VaradarAja BhakthAs :

 Let us move on to the Fourth Paasuram  of
 Thirucchinna Maalai ( Paasuram 272 of Desika
 Prabhandham ) in this posting . It deals with
 the significance of "Nama: " sabdham :

   272.  nAmm vaNanga ThAmm iNangA niRpAr vanthAr
               nammai adaikkalam koLLum NaaTar vanthAr
            nAmm yemekkAm vazhakku yellAm aRutthAr vanthAr
               namakku ithu yenRu urayAmal vaitthAr vanthAr
            sEmam yeNNi yemmai anbarkku adaitthAr vanthAr
               sezhum tahavAl tiNN saraNNAm Isar vanthAr
            tAmm anaitthum theevinayait-tavirppAr vanthAr
              TamakkEyAi yemmai aatkkoLvAr vanthAr ThAmE

 ( Meaning): PeraruLALar is the One Supreme Lord , who stands
 on top of Hasthigiri to grant the desired boons  of His true devotees
 who worship Him with bhakthi. He has accepted us the PrapannAs
 as objects to be protected and has freed us from our futile efforts to
gain rakshaNam by ourselves . He is the One , who has banished
the ahankAram  ( sense of We) and the MamakAram ( this is mine)
from our thinking. He has  removed our false claim for Lordhip over
any thing and has taken over  the Seshithvam ( rightful Ownership)
over all the objects of His creation . He has made  us  subservient to
the  BhaagavathAs for , who are very  dear to Him and this He has done
for our own well being (KshEmam). He stands as the unfailing means
( upAyam) due to His evergrowing  affection ( Vaathsalyam ) for us.
He burns away in a trice all of our  accumulated fierce karmAs.
He has made us His servants (Sesha Vasthu)  and has gained
the fruits for that effort  for Himself. The Lord of such  glories
has now arrived amidst us as indicated by His Thirucchinna oli.
 from their company .

 THIS PAASURAM DEALS WITH THE MEANING OF NAMA: SABDHAM .

 The various key words and their links to the "Nama: Sabdham "
 of the Moola Manthram have been identified for us by MahA VidvAn
 Vaikunta Vaasi Oppiliappan Kovil SrI SrIrAma DesikAcchAr  Swamy :

 1. "Naam VaNanga" refers to NamaskAram by body , mind and spech.

 2. "Adaikkalam " refers to Prapatthi/Bhara SamarpaNam/Aathma nivEdhanam,
      the act of unconditional surrender to SrIman NaarAyaNa .

 3." Naamm yemakkAmm vazhakku yellAmm MaRutthAr " refers to
 the ahankAram and MamakAram , which makes the deluded jeevan
 think that it is its own Master and denies the SvAmithvam of Sarva Loka
 SaraNyan , SrIman NaarAyaNan . The Thirumanjana Kattiyam of
 ParAsara Bhattar is a brilliant summary of the dialog between Lord
 RanganAtha and the egotistic jeevan on this subject and proves
 once and for all that the jeevan has no Seshithvam ( Lordship) on
 any matter in the context of the "Divine Soverignity " of our Lord :

 http://www.oppiliappan.org/kattiyam.htm

 4.The 5th line of this paasuram " KshEmam yeNNi anbarkku adaitthAr "
 deals with the importance of Bhaagavatha SEshathvam ( NedumAl adimai
 paasurams of Swamy  NammAzhwAr ( ThiruvAimozhi: 8.0.1-11) and
 "Payilum sudaroLi " ( ThiruvAimozhi: 3.7.1-11).

 The prayer here is to become the servant of the Lord ( BhAgavathAs).
 To be the servants of the BhagaavthAs is the svaroopam of the Jeevans .
 Bhagavath sEsham is a most desirable purushArTam ( Life's goal) but
 BhAgavatha ( TadheeyALs) Seshathvam is even more important  .
 The example is provided by Sathrugnan being the Servant (Seshan ) of
 Bharathan , who considered Lord Raamachandra Bhagavaan as
 His Seshi .Clinging to the feet of BhaagavathAs is therefore considered
 very important .We should do Bhaagavath Kaimkaryam to please His
 BhAgavathAs/SrI VaishNavAs  ( for Bhagavatha Preethi). Once
 BhAgavatha Seshathvam is realized , then Bhagavath anubhavam
 will grow on and on. This Daasya Sambhandham (adiyAr kudigaL )
 will make us Bhaagavatha Nishtaas.

 Thirukudanthai Desikan's nirvAham in this context based on
 SaakshAth Swamy's slOkam is: " SuddhAnAm thu labhEmahi
 sTiradhiyAm SuddhAntha SiddhAnthinAm mukthaiswarya
 dhina prabhAdha  samayAsatthim prasatthim muhu: labEmahi"
 ( May we be blessed with Daasya Sambhandham/Bhaagavatha
 sEshathvam . May we cling to the blemishless feet of Your
 BhaagavathAs like anthapuram women ( pathivrathais)
 and await the dawn of Moksham !).

 This passage is very important in the context of not committing
 BhaagavathApachAram since it is considered that the worship of
 BhAgavathAs is more imprtant than worship of BhagavAn Himself:

"AarAdhanAnAm SarvEshAm VishNOr AaarAdhanam Param
 TasmAth Parataram prOktham TadhiyArAdhanam Param "

"TadheeyAs " are those that are dear servants of the Lord ( BhaagavthAs).
That AarAdhanam is SrI Sampath.The BhAgavatha aarAdhanam is the sure
formula for positive deliverance from the cycles of births and deaths since
BhAgavathAs are the dearest ones for the Lord , the Moksha Daayakan.
This doctrine of BhAgaavatha Seshathvam as the end limit of the goals
of life ( PurushArTa Kaashtai) is covered in great detail in the 16th
Chapter of SrImath Rahasya Thraya Saaram.For PrapannAs ( Krutha KruthyAs) ,
BhAgavatha sEshathvam is indispensable .

5. " TiNN SaraNN Isar " (6th Line): the upAyam of SaraNAgathy . The ways
of performing Prapatthi/Bhara SamarpaNam   is dealt at great length in
the 12 th chapter of SrImath Rahasya Thraya Saaram ( Saanga-
PrapadhanAdhikAram).

6. " Thee Vinai anaitthum tavirppAr " refers to the destruction of all
anishtams
( mishaps) by the Lord that act as Moksha Phala VirOdhis ( ArTa Panchakam
chapter of SrImath Rahasya Thraya Saaram).

7. yemai TamakkEyAi koLvAr vanthAr" : The Lord ( sEshi)  who accepts us
as  sEshans for His own prayOjanam and enjoys the fruits there of has
arrived now amidst us . The 22nd chapter of  SrImath Rahasya Thraya Saaram
( ParipoorNa BrahmAnuhva adhikAram) sums up the Lord's anugrahams
for the Muktha Jeevan  that thas  arrived at His Supreme Abode.

 NaarAyaNa , NaarAyaNa , NaarAyaNa
 Daasan ,  Oppiliappan Koil VaradachAri Sadagopan

 Srimate Sri Laksminrisimha Divya Paduka Sevaka
 Srivan Satakopa Sri Narayana Yatindra Mahadesikaya Nama:

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/XUWolB/TM