You are here: SriPedia - Oppiliappan - Archives - Apr 2004

Oppiliappan List Archive: Message 00135 Apr 2004

Apr 2004 Indexes ( Date | Thread | Author )

SrI:

Dear SrI VaradarAja BhakthAs :

Let us reflect  on the Sixth Paasuram  of
Thirucchinna Maalai ( Paasuram 274 of Desika
Prabhandham ) in this posting . It deals with
the significance of  the fourth case (Vibhakthi)
riding on the NaarAyaNa sabdham (NaarAyaNAya):

 274. aruLAlE vilangu iraNDum azhippAr vanthAr
            anjirayaik-kazhittharuLum anbhar vanthAr
         maruL vaarA vahai nammaik-kAppAr vanthAr
            VaanEra Vazhi nadatthi vaippAr VanthAr
         theruL aarum theLi visumbhu taruvAr vanthAr
            ThiNN kazhark-keezh vaazha namakku aruLvAr vanthAr
         peruvAnil adimai namaik-koLvAr vanthAr
            piriyAmaR kAtthaLippAr vanthAr ThaamE

(Meaning): Lord VaradarAjan is the One , who destroys
both the kinds of KarmAs ( PuNyam and Paapam) through
His grace( KrupA) . He is the One , who releases the chEthanms
from the prison of SamsAram that they thought was the most enjoyable
( Parama BhOgyam). He is the One , who protects us
by banishing  ajn~Anam from our minds during the last
moments of our lives . He is the One , who enables us to travel
by the path of light ( archirAdhi mArgam) to His Supreme abode.
He is the One , who blesses us with permanent residence in
His Suddha Satthvamaya SrI Vaikuntam , where the svabhAvika
( inherent, natural) Jn~Anam of the AathmA is always in full blossom.
He is the One who grants us the supreme goal of performing kaimkaryam
at His sacred feet at SrI Vaikuntam . He is the One , who accepts our
Kaimkaryams and lets us gain ParipoorNa BrahmAnandham there.
He is the One , who protects us and guarantees that we will never
ever be seperated from Him. Lord VaradarAjan of such Vaibhavam
has now arrived in our midst as inferred from the mangaLa nAdham of
His Thirucchinnam .

In this Paasuram , the meaning of the "Aaya " sabdham riding on
the NaarAyaNa sabdham of the Moola Manthram is explained.
The meaning of the " aaya " sabdham ( the fourth case riding on
the NaarAyaNa  sabdham) is Kaimkaryam to the Lord. For the Prapannan,
who has performed the UpAyam ( SaraNAgathy) , the Phalans
range from the destruction of both kinds of KarmAs to protection
and inseperabilty  from SrIman NaarAyaNan and His Supreme abode.
Recognizing its inherent Seshathvam , the muktha jeevan performs
nithya kaimkaryam with the total blissful anubhavam . That then is
the meaning of the "aaya " sabdham .

Additional Observations on words selected by Swamy Desikan
1. Vilangu IraNDu: the two kinds of restrainers ( handcuffs or leg cuffs)
that limit our movement are the two kinds of KarmAs: PuNyams
and Paapams .PuNyam is described as the golden cuff and Paapam
is viewed as the Iron cuff. Gold or Iron , both limit our movement
and the Lord breaks them up and frees us  once we perform
SaraNaagathy and seek His protection.

2. Anjirai: We were restrained by our cuffs and staying in
that state inside the prison of SamsAram ( amm SiRai).
This is the prison cell that looks beautiful for SamsAris .

3. MaruL Vaaraa Vahai KaappAr : During the anthima Kaalam ,
our Lord will protect us from the power of Ajn!Anam that will
invoke inauspicious rememberances.

4. VaanERa Vazhi NadatthuvAr: Upanishads , the fourth chapter of
Brahama Soothrams and Swamy  Desikan's own Parama Padha
sOpAnam elaborate on the ArchirAdhi Maargam ( the Pathof Light )
through His aadhivAhikAs step by step to SrI Vaikuntam ( Vaann).

5. TeruL aarum =  A place full of true Jn~Anam , the world filled
with Suddha Satthvam ( Made entirely of Satthvam without admixture of
the three guNAs associated with the cosmic matter ( Prakruthic matter).
It is self luminous. There are two kinds of Satthva: Suddha and asuddha
Satthva. Suddha Satthva is unalloyed , pure Satthva. Asuddha Sattva
is Sathtva ( one of the three GuNAs) associated with Rajas and Tamas
in different proportions in the Leela VibhUthi ( BhagavAn's playground :
this Karma BhUmi inhabited by SamsAris) .Asuddha Satthvam manifests as
JaDa dravyam in Prakruthi and Suddha Satthvam manifests as the spiritual
substance ( as ajada dravyam) in Nithya VibhUthi of Our Lord.( TeLi
Visumbhu) .

6. TiNN Kazhal : The powerful Thiruvadi , which protects us from all dangers
and grants us Moksham ( KaNNan KazhaliNai naNNum manamudayeer:
yeNNum ThirunAmam --TiNNam NaaraNamE : Thiruvaimozhi 10.5.1).
The significane of NaarAyaNa sabdham and the fruits of meditation on it
was covered in the previous Paasuram. AzhwAr continues and instructs us:
PaaDeer Avan Naamam--VeeDE peRaLAmE ( Arhana with love and
singing about His Sahasra NaamAs will land You at His sacred feet and
secure Moksham ).Such is the power of the ThiNN Kazhals of our Lord
VaradarAjan .

7. Peru Vaann : SrI Vaikuntam

8. Peru Vaanil adimai KoLvAr : SrI Vaikunta NaaTan , who will bless us
to perform nithya kaimkaryam to Him in His Supreme abode and will
accept it with joy.

9. PiriyAmal KaatthaLippAr : He will never be away from us , protect us
and bless us with the ParipoorNa BrahmAnandham arising from Nithya
Kaimkaryam to Him .

NaarAyaNa , NaarAyaNa , NaarAyaNa
Daasan ,  Oppiliappan Koil VaradachAri Sadagopan

 Srimate Sri Lakshminrisimha Divya Paduka Sevaka
SrivaNN  SaThakopa Sri Narayana Yatindra Mahadesikaya Nama:

http://www.c1tracking.com/l.asp?cid=5511
http://us.click.yahoo.com/mOAaAA/3exGAA/qnsNAA/XUWolB/TM